If a 2x1014 kg comet impacts the ocean at a speed of 10 km/s, and 1% of the comet's impact kinetic energy goes to boiling the water (the other 99% is going to produce waves in the water), what mass of water will be boiled during the impact? Consider the initial temperature of the water to be 10oC, and that the specific heat of the sea water is the same as fresh water, 4.184 J/gK, as well as the heat of vaporization, 2260 J/gK. For comparison, the mass of the Earth's oceans is considered to be on the order of 1021 kg.
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Changes in Phase & Latent Heat concept. You can view video lessons to learn Changes in Phase & Latent Heat. Or if you need more Changes in Phase & Latent Heat practice, you can also practice Changes in Phase & Latent Heat practice problems.
How long does this problem take to solve?
Our expert Physics tutor, Jeffery took 6 minutes and 19 seconds to solve this problem. You can follow their steps in the video explanation above.