To determine the R/S configuration of the chiral center:
• If the lowest priority is on a dashed line: trace a path from 1 to 3
– If the order is clockwise → R (rectus or right)
– If the order is counterclockwise → S (sinister or left)
• If the lowest priority is not on a dashed line: swap with the group on a dashed line
– Trace a path from 1 to 3:
– Clockwise → R becomes S because of the swap
– Counterclockwise → S becomes R because of the swap
Click on all structures that are identical to the first (leftmost). If no structure qualifies, submit your answer without selecting any structure.
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the R and S Configuration concept. You can view video lessons to learn R and S Configuration. Or if you need more R and S Configuration practice, you can also practice R and S Configuration practice problems.