For this problem, we have to classify each alkene in terms of E/Z stereoisomer configuration
Recall that the E/Z designation gives us the absolute stereochemistry of double bonds. It involves:
1. Determining the highest priority groups on each side of a double bond.
• Priority is determined using atomic mass
• If the same atom is present, we compare the other atoms it is bonded to
2. Designating E/Z based on their relative position:
• If they are on the same side → Z (zusammen or together)
• If they are on the opposite side → E (entgegen or opposite)
In this case, we have to make weigh each side of the double bond and determine which will be prioritized.
Classify the following alkenes in terms of E/Z stereoisomer configurations.
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Cis vs Trans concept. You can view video lessons to learn Cis vs Trans. Or if you need more Cis vs Trans practice, you can also practice Cis vs Trans practice problems.
What is the difficulty of this problem?
Our tutors rated the difficulty ofClassify the following alkenes in terms of E/Z stereoisomer ...as medium difficulty.
What professor is this problem relevant for?
Based on our data, we think this problem is relevant for Professor Liu's class at PITT.