Organelle Heredity: inheritance of DNA in the mitochondria and chloroplast
: follows non-Mendelian inheritance; from the mother only
• Exhibited by myoclonic epilepsy and ragged-red fiber disease (MERRF)
• Exhibited by Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy (LHON)
• The genotype of the female parent, not the genotype of the embryo determines the phenotype of the offspring.
• Mitochondria and chloroplasts are responsible for the inheritance pattern.
• The genetic products are distributed among newly formed cells and influence the patterns or traits established during early development.
• Exhibited by Kearns-Sayre syndrome (KSS)
• The effect persists for one generation only.
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Maternal Effect concept. You can view video lessons to learn Maternal Effect. Or if you need more Maternal Effect practice, you can also practice Maternal Effect practice problems.