Lateral Gene Transfer: transfer of genetic material between different organisms; occurs via:
1. Transformation: recipient cell absorbs DNA from the environment
2. Conjugation: recipient cell receives DNA via a sex pili
Match each description to the appropriate type of horizontal gene transfer in bacteria.
• the movement of genes into a bacterial recipient cell via a phage vector
• free DNA in the extracellular environment is taken up by bacterial cells
• DNA is transferred from a donor to a recipient cell via a direct connection
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Bacterial Conjugation concept. You can view video lessons to learn Bacterial Conjugation. Or if you need more Bacterial Conjugation practice, you can also practice Bacterial Conjugation practice problems.