🤓 Based on our data, we think this question is relevant for Professor Shay's class at BGSU.
We’re asked to write the balanced ionic and net ionic equation for the acid-base reaction of HCHO2(aq) and NaOH(aq)
Before balancing the chemical reaction, let’s first write the determine the products in the reaction.
Formic Acid HCHO2
• Formic acid is made up of H+ ion and CHO2- ion
• H is bonded to a non-metal so its charge is +1 → H+
• The overall charge is of formic acid is 0 so CHO2 must have a -1 charge → CHO2-
• The dissociation is: HCHO2(aq) → CHO2-(aq) + H+(aq)
Sodium Hydroxide NaOH
• Sodium is a metal from group 1A which forms an ionic bond as Na+
• Hydroxide is a polyatomic anion with -1 charge → OH-
• The dissociation is: NaOH → Na+ + OH-
Write balanced complete ionic and net ionic equations for each acid–base reaction.
Write a balanced complete ionic equation for: HCHO2(aq) + NaOH(aq)