• simplest type of functional group
• made up only of carbons and hydrogens single bonded to each other
• with at least one carbon-carbon double bond
• with at least one carbon-carbon triple bond
• contains carbon single bonded with -OH
• contains at least one carbon single bonded with Nitrogen (-N)
• contains a carbon double bonded to an oxygen (=O) and single bonded to a hydrogen (-H)
• terminal functional group (found at the end of the compound)
• contains three carbons and the middle carbon is double bonded to an oxygen (=O)
• contains a carbon double bonded to an oxygen (=O) and single bonded to an –OH
• contains a carbon double bonded to an oxygen (=O) and single bonded to an oxygen (-O) and that oxygen is single bonded to another carbon
Consider the following organic substances: ethanol, propane, hexane, and propanol.
Which of these molecules contains three carbon atoms?
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Functional Groups concept. You can view video lessons to learn Functional Groups. Or if you need more Functional Groups practice, you can also practice Functional Groups practice problems.