🤓 Based on our data, we think this question is relevant for Professor Castaneda's class at UMICH.
We are asked to assign oxidation states for all atoms in SF4.
The rules for oxidation states are as follows:
A. General Rules:
1. For an atom in its elemental form (Zn, Cl2, C(graphite), etc.) O.S. = 0
2. For an ion (Li+, Al3+, etc.) O.S. = charge
B. Specific Rules:
1. Group 1A O.S. = +1
2. Group 2A O.S. = +2
3. Hydrogen O.S. = +1, with nonmetals
O.S. = –1 with metals and boron
4. Fluorine O.S. = –1
5. Oxygen O.S. = –1 in peroxides (X2O2, X = Group 1A)
O.S. = –1/2 in superoxides (XO2, X = Group 1A)
O.S. = –2 in other compounds
6. Group 7A O.S. = –1 (except when bonded to O)
Assign oxidation states for all atoms in SF4.