🤓 Based on our data, we think this question is relevant for Professor Abdelrahman's class at UGA.
• s–subshell can hold a maximum of 2 electrons
• p–subshell can hold a maximum of 6 electrons
• d–subshell can hold a maximum of 10 electrons
• f–subshell can hold a maximum of 14 electrons
When filling up the orbitals, take note of:
• Aufbau Principle: totally fill in the lowest energy orbital first
• Hund’s Rule: electron orbitals that are degenerate (same energy orbital) are first half-filled before they are totally filled
The orbital diagram is:
Lower level (2p) orbital is not yet filled but Higher level (3s) orbital has 1 electron
Does the electron configuration 1s22s22p43s1 correspond to an excited state? Identify the atom and write the ground-state electron configuration if appropriate. How many unpaired electrons are present in this species?