🤓 Based on our data, we think this question is relevant for Professor Freeman's class at SCAR.
We’re being asked to classify each compound as soluble or insoluble.
For this problem, we need the solubility rules:
• Soluble Ionic Compounds:
• Group 1A ions (Li+, Na+, K+, etc.) and Ammonium ion (NH4+) are soluble
• Nitrates (NO3–), Acetates (CH3COO– or C2H3O2–), and most Perchlorates (ClO4–) are soluble
• Halides (Cl–, Br–, and I–) are soluble except when paired with Ag+, Pb2+, Cu+, Hg22+
• Sulfates (SO42–) are soluble except those of Ca2+, Sr2+, Ba2+, Ag+, and Pb2+
• Insoluble Ionic Compounds:
• Hydroxides (OH–) and Sulfides (S2–) are insoluble except when with Group 1A ions (Li+, Na+, K+, etc.), ammonium ion (NH4+), Ca2+, Sr2+, and Ba2+
• Carbonates (CO32–) and Phosphates (PO43–) are insoluble except when with Group 1A ions (Li+, Na+, K+, etc.) and ammonium ion (NH4+)
Classify these compounds as soluble or insoluble.
a. barium sulfate f. sodium hydroxide
b. magnesium sulfate g. magnesium hydroxide
c. ammonium hydroxide h. copper (II) hydroxide
d. copper (II) sulfate i. barium hydroxide
e. ammonium sulfate j. sodium sulfate
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Electrolytes concept. You can view video lessons to learn Electrolytes. Or if you need more Electrolytes practice, you can also practice Electrolytes practice problems.
What is the difficulty of this problem?
Our tutors rated the difficulty ofClassify these compounds as soluble or insoluble.a. barium s...as medium difficulty.
How long does this problem take to solve?
Our expert Chemistry tutor, Dasha took 5 minutes and 25 seconds to solve this problem. You can follow their steps in the video explanation above.
What professor is this problem relevant for?
Based on our data, we think this problem is relevant for Professor Freeman's class at SCAR.