Lewis acid is an electron pair acceptor:
• When hydrogen is connected to an electronegative element such as P, O, N, S or halogens
• Positively charged metal ions
• Central element that has less than 8 valence electrons around it
Lewis base is an electron pair donor:
• Compounds that have lone pair(s) on a central element can act as Lewis bases.
• Compounds that possess a negative charge can act as Lewis Bases.
H- → negatively charged → Lewis base
Classify each of the following as a Lewis acid or a Lewis base.
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Lewis Acid and Base concept. You can view video lessons to learn Lewis Acid and Base. Or if you need more Lewis Acid and Base practice, you can also practice Lewis Acid and Base practice problems.
What professor is this problem relevant for?
Based on our data, we think this problem is relevant for Professor Marks' class at ASU.