Naming an alkyne is similar to naming an alkane with a few differences.
- Find the longest carbon chain and change the “ane” ending to “yne”.
- If there is a tie between longest chains, choose the chain that gives the _________ substituents.
- Number the chain from the end closest to the triple bond and provide a number for its location.
- Substituents will be named alphabetically and a number will accompany the location of their attachment.
- If more than one of a similar alkyl group is present then we must use numerical prefixes to describe the number of them.
__________ – 2 __________ – 3 __________ – 4 __________ – 5