When naming any alkane compound there is a set of rules you should follow to get the correct answer.
- Find the longest carbon chain and assign a root name accordingly.
- If there is a tie between longest chains, choose the chain that gives _____________ substituents.
- Number the chain from the end closest to a substituent.
- Substituents will be named alphabetically and a number will accompany the location of their attachment.
- If more than one of a similar alkyl group is present then we must use numerical prefixes to describe the number of them.
__________ – 2 __________ – 3 __________ – 4 __________ – 5