Choose the answer that correctly assigns the labels on the phase.
A) A = liquid, B = gas, C = solid, D = triple point
B) A = gas, B = liquid, C = solid, D = critical point
C) A = liquid, B = solid, C = gas, D = critical point
D) A = gas, B = solid, C = liquid, D = triple point
E) A = solid, B = gas, C = liquid, D = supercritical fluid
We’re being asked to label the phases on the given phase diagram. Recall that a phase diagram shows the transition of matter between solid, liquid, and gas phases as temperature and pressure changes.
In a phase diagram, the different phases can be identified by their location:
• Solid: can be found at high pressure and low temperature
• Liquid: can be found between the solid and gas regions
• Gas: can be found at low pressure and high temperature
• Triple Point: the point at which all three phases are in equilibrium
• Critical Point: the point at which the liquid and gas phases coexist. The resulting phase is a supercritical fluid.