Methanol (CH3OH) has a higher vapor pressure than octanol (C 8H17OH) because
1. methanol is non-polar and octanol is polar
2. methanol exhibits hydrogen bonding and octanol does not
3. methanol has weaker dispersion forces than octanol
4. methanol has stronger dispersion forces than octanol
5. octanol exhibits hydrogen bonding and methanol does not
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Intermolecular Forces and Physical Properties concept. If you need more Intermolecular Forces and Physical Properties practice, you can also practice Intermolecular Forces and Physical Properties practice problems.
What is the difficulty of this problem?
Our tutors rated the difficulty ofMethanol (CH3OH) has a higher vapor pressure than octanol (C...as low difficulty.
How long does this problem take to solve?
Our expert Chemistry tutor, Jules took 2 minutes and 22 seconds to solve this problem. You can follow their steps in the video explanation above.
What professor is this problem relevant for?
Based on our data, we think this problem is relevant for Professor Billman's class at Abilene Christian University.