• Matter is considered a pure substance if it is composed of a single entity. Pure substances can be further categorized into two:
▪ Element → cannot be separated into simpler substances or composed of only 1 type of atom (eg. O3, Cl2)
▪ Compound/Molecule → can be separated into simpler substances
• Matter is considered a mixture if they have variable composition. Mixtures are not chemically combined. Mixtures can be further categorized into two:
1) Classify each of the following as a mixture, a compound, or an element?
table sugar, propane, bronze, tea, vinegar, dry ice, oxygen, aluminum
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Classification of Matter concept. You can view video lessons to learn Classification of Matter. Or if you need more Classification of Matter practice, you can also practice Classification of Matter practice problems.