When a piece of metal is heated, then submerged in cool water, the metal and water will eventually reach thermal equilibrium:
Recall that heat is always transferred from higher temperature to lower temperature.
• A piece of metal is heated → higher temp
A piece of metal is heated, then submerged in cool water, which statement below describes what happens?
1. The temperature of the metal will increase
2. The temperature of the water will increase
3. The temperature of the metal will increase and the temperature of the water will decrease
4. The temperature of the metal will decrease and the temperature of the water will increase.
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Thermal Equilibrium concept. You can view video lessons to learn Thermal Equilibrium. Or if you need more Thermal Equilibrium practice, you can also practice Thermal Equilibrium practice problems.