We’re being asked to determine which of the given solutions can act as a buffer.
Recall that a buffer can be composed of the following:
• weak base and its conjugate acid
• weak acid and its conjugate base
• weak acid and a strong base
▪ concentration of weak acid > concentration of strong base
• weak base and a strong acid
▪ concentration of weak base > concentration of strong acid
The maximum buffering capacity of a solution is when the pH of the solution is equal to pKa and the buffer range of a solution is pH = pKa ± 1.
• maximum buffering capacity: pH = pKa
• buffering range: pH = pKa ± 1
Which of the following solutions can act as a buffer?
Frequently Asked Questions