We're being asked to determine which compound produces the greatest numbers of ions when one mole dissolves in water.
• Covalent or Molecular Compound
▪ composed of more than one nonmetal together
▪ nonmetal + nonmetal = covalent bond
• Ionic Compound
▪ composed of a positive ion called a cation connected to a negative ion called an anion.
▪ positive ions (cations) are usually metals and negative ions (anion) are usually nonmetals
metal + nonmetal = ionic bond
▪ cations and anions can also be polyatomic ions (example: NH4+, CH3COO-, SO42-)
Which produces the greatest numbers of ions when one mole dissolves in water?
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Ionic and Covalent Compounds concept. If you need more Ionic and Covalent Compounds practice, you can also practice Ionic and Covalent Compounds practice problems.