We’re being asked to determine which gives a buffer solution when equal volumes of the two solutions are mixed.
Recall that a buffer can be composed of the following:
• weak base and its conjugate acid
• weak acid and its conjugate base
• weak acid and a strong base
▪ concentration of weak acid > concentration of strong base
• weak base and a strong acid
▪ concentration of weak base > concentration of strong acid
Which of the following (select all that apply) gives a buffer solution when equal volumes of the two solutions are mixed?
A. 0.10 M NH3 and 0.10 M NH4Cl
B. 0.10 M NH3 and 0.10 M NaOH
C. 0.10 M NH4Cl and 0.10 M NaOH
D. 0.50 M NH4Cl and 0.25 M NaOH
Frequently Asked Questions