We’re being asked to determine which of the given solutions is a good buffer system.
Recall that a buffer can be composed of the following:
• weak base and its conjugate acid
• weak acid and its conjugate base
• weak acid and a strong base
▪ concentration of weak acid > concentration of strong base
• weak base and a strong acid
▪ concentration of weak base > concentration of strong acid
Which of the following gives a buffer solution when equal volumes of the two solutions are mixed?
(a) 0.10 M HF and 0.10 M NaOH
(b) 0.20 M HF and 0.10 M NaOH
(c) 0.10 M HCl and 0.20 M NaF
(d) 0.10 M HF and 0.10 M NaF
Frequently Asked Questions