Recall that a buffer can be composed of the following:
• weak base and its conjugate acid
• weak acid and its conjugate base
• weak acid and a strong base
▪ concentration of weak acid > concentration of strong base
• weak base and a strong acid
▪ concentration of weak base > concentration of strong acid
Analyze each statement:
Which statement is true of pH buffers?
(a) They consist of strong acids and strong bases.
(b) They keep the pH of the blood constant.
(c) They consist of weak acids and weak bases.
Both (a) and (b).
Both (b) and (c).
Frequently Asked Questions