Predict the product(s) of the following reaction:
Cs + Br2 ⇌
The equation is not necessarily balanced.
To be able to predict the products of some alkali metal reactions.
The alkali metals are in the first group of the periodic table and include lithium, sodium, potassium, rubidium, cesium, and francium. They all have the ns1 valence electron configuration and are electropositive metals. Therefore, they lose one electron easily to form +1 ions. Alkali metals also react with halogens to form metal halides. Alkali metals have a number of unique properties:
1. Francium, the heaviest alkali metal, is radioactive. With a half-life of 22 minutes, not much is known about Fr chemistry.
2. Of all the alkali metals, only lithium is small enough to react with nitrogen to form Li3N.
3. Lithium and sodium tend to form complexes with water. Therefore, they absorb water easily and can be used as drying agents.
4. Cesium and francium have melting points below 30 °C. They are among the few metals that are liquid or near liquid at room temperature.
5. Only the lighter alkali metals can react to form organometallic compounds that contain metal-carbon bonds.
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Types of Chemical Reactions concept. If you need more Types of Chemical Reactions practice, you can also practice Types of Chemical Reactions practice problems.