We are asked what is the strongest interactions between molecules of ammonia (NH3) are.
Recall that there are several types of intermolecular forces (Arranged from strongest to weakest)
1. Ion-dipole interaction – occurs between an ion and a polar covalent compound
2. Hydrogen bonding – occurs in compounds where hydrogen is directly connected to an electronegative element such as N, O, or F
3. Dipole-dipole interaction – occurs between two polar covalent compounds
4. Induced-dipole interaction – occurs when a nonpolar compound interacts with a polar compound
5. Dispersion forces – occurs in all compounds. This is the primary intermolecular force exhibited by nonpolar compounds.
The strongest interactions between molecules of ammonia (NH3) are
b) hydrogen bonds
c) polar covalent
d) dispersion forces
e) ionic bonds