We are asked to determine the oxidation state for each of the following.
A. General Rules:
1. For an atom in its elemental form (Zn, Cl2, C(graphite), etc.) O.S. = 0
2. For an ion (Li+, Al3+, etc.) O.S. = charge
B. Specific Rules:
1. Group 1A O.S. = +1
2. Group 2A O.S. = +2
3. Hydrogen O.S. = +1, with nonmetals
O.S. = –1 with metals and boron
4. Fluorine O.S. = –1
5. Oxygen O.S. = –1 in peroxides (X2O2, X = Group 1A)
O.S. = –1/2 in superoxides (XO2, X = Group 1A)
O.S. = –2 in other compounds
6. Group 7A O.S. = –1 (except when bonded to O)
The oxidation state of N2 is 0
The oxidation state of Pb2+ is 2+
Determine the oxidation state for each of the following.
3) C in CH4
4) Fe in Fe2O3
5) Ag in Ag2O
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Calculate Oxidation Number concept. If you need more Calculate Oxidation Number practice, you can also practice Calculate Oxidation Number practice problems.