• Ionization energy is the energy required to remove an electron from a gaseous atom or ion.
• Electron affinity is the energy required to add 1 mole of electrons to a gaseous element.
▪ gain positive charge → lose electrons
▪ energy that corresponds to removing electrons in an element → ionization energy
▪ easier to remove electrons → lower ionization energy
Elements with ________________ first ionization energies and ___________ electron affinities generally form cations.
A. low, very negative
B. high, positive or slightly negative
C. low, positive or slightly negative
D. high, very negative
E. None of these is generally correct.
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Periodic Trend: Cumulative concept. You can view video lessons to learn Periodic Trend: Cumulative. Or if you need more Periodic Trend: Cumulative practice, you can also practice Periodic Trend: Cumulative practice problems.