We are asked to determine which of the given choices constitutes a buffer system.
Recall that a buffer can be composed of the following:
• weak base and its conjugate acid
• weak acid and its conjugate base
• weak acid and a strong base
▪ concentration of weak acid > concentration of strong base
• weak base and a strong acid
▪ concentration of weak base > concentration of strong acid
Which of the following aqueous mixtures would be a buffer system?
A) HCl, NaCl
B) HNO3, NaNO3
C) H3PO4, H2PO4-
D) H2SO4, CH3COOH
E) NH3, NaOH
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Buffer concept. You can view video lessons to learn Buffer. Or if you need more Buffer practice, you can also practice Buffer practice problems.