We are being asked to determine the weakest bond among the choices
Recall that the bond strength determines the distance between the atoms
▪ the stronger the bonds, the closer or the smaller the distance between the atoms
▪ higher bond strength → shorter bond length
• The bond length can also be determined by the type of bond between the atoms
▪ single bond (–X–X–) → longest bond length
▪ double bond (–X=X–) → shorter than a single bond
▪ triple bond (–X≡X–) → shortest bond length
Choose the bond below that is the weakest.
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Bond Energy concept. If you need more Bond Energy practice, you can also practice Bond Energy practice problems.