We’re being asked to determine how to make a buffer.
Recall that a buffer can be composed of the following:
• weak base and its conjugate acid
• weak acid and its conjugate base
• weak acid and a strong base
▪ concentration of weak acid > concentration of strong base
• weak base and a strong acid
▪ concentration of weak base > concentration of strong acid
How could you make a buffer? Select all that apply.
a. Partially neutralize a weak base solution by addition of a strong acid.
b. Add appropriate quantities of weak acid and its conjugate base to water.
c. Partially neutralize a strong acid solution by addition of a strong base.
d. Partially neutralize a weak acid solution by addition of a strong base.
e. Partially neutralize a strong base solution by addition of a strong acid.
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Buffer concept. You can view video lessons to learn Buffer. Or if you need more Buffer practice, you can also practice Buffer practice problems.