We’re being asked to determine how to make a buffer.
Recall that a buffer can be composed of the following:
• weak base and its conjugate acid
• weak acid and its conjugate base
• weak acid and a strong base
▪ concentration of weak acid > concentration of strong base
• weak base and a strong acid
▪ concentration of weak base > concentration of strong acid
How could you make a buffer? Select all that apply.
a. Partially neutralize a weak base solution by addition of a strong acid.
b. Add appropriate quantities of weak acid and its conjugate base to water.
c. Partially neutralize a strong acid solution by addition of a strong base.
d. Partially neutralize a weak acid solution by addition of a strong base.
e. Partially neutralize a strong base solution by addition of a strong acid.
Frequently Asked Questions