The bond strength also determines the distance between the atoms
▪ the stronger the bonds, the closer or the smaller the distance between the atoms
▪ higher bond strength → shorter bond length
The bond length can also be determined by the type of bond between the atoms
▪ single bond (–X–X–) → longest bond length
▪ double bond (–X=X–) → shorter than a single bond
▪ triple bond (–X≡X–) → shortest bond length
▪ smaller atomic radius → shorter bond length
For each set below, rank the bonds according to length.
Si - H Si - O Si - S
N - N N = N N ≡ N
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Bond Energy concept. If you need more Bond Energy practice, you can also practice Bond Energy practice problems.
What professor is this problem relevant for?
Based on our data, we think this problem is relevant for Professor Knope's class at GU.