Let’s first define an ionic and molecular bond:
• involves the transferring of an electron from one element to another element
• positively charged ion + negatively charged ion
▪ metal → usually is the positively charged ion (+)
▪ nonmetal → usually is the negatively charged ion (-)
▪ metal (or polyatomic ion) + nonmetal (or polyatomic ion)
Covalent (or Molecular) Bond
• involves the sharing of an electron(s) between elements
▪ nonmetal + nonmetal
Identify all the different types of bonding (ionic, covalent, or both) in the following compounds:
Br(ClO4)2, ClO2, NaCl
a) Ionic Only
b) Covalent Only
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Chemical Bonds concept. You can view video lessons to learn Chemical Bonds. Or if you need more Chemical Bonds practice, you can also practice Chemical Bonds practice problems.