To classify the following complex ions as high spin or low spin:
Classify the following complex ions as high spin or low spin:
1) [ Fe (CN)6 ] 4- no unpaired e-
2) [ Fe (CN)6 ] 4- one unpaired e-
3) [ Co (NH3) 6 ] 2+ three unpaired e-'s
4) [ Co F6 ] 3- four unpaired e-'s
5) [ Mn (H2O) 6 ] 2+ five unpaired e-'s
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Crystal Field Theory concept. If you need more Crystal Field Theory practice, you can also practice Crystal Field Theory practice problems.
What professor is this problem relevant for?
Based on our data, we think this problem is relevant for Professor Scerri's class at UCLA.