We’re being asked to determine which of the statements about buffer capacity is true
Recall that a buffer can be composed of the following:
• weak base and its conjugate acid
• weak acid and its conjugate base
• weak acid and a strong base
▪ concentration of weak acid > concentration of strong base
• weak base and a strong acid
▪ concentration of weak base > concentration of strong acid
The maximum buffering capacity of a solution is when the pH of the solution is equal to pKa and the buffer range of a solution is pH = pKa ± 1.
• maximum buffering capacity: pH = pKa
• buffering range: pH = pKa ± 1
The capacity of a buffer is greatest when which of the following is true?
A. [weak acid] > [its conjugate base]
B. [weak acid] = [its conjugate base]
C. [weak acid] < [its conjugate base]
D. buffer capacity does not depend on the relative concentrations of the weak acid and its conjugate base
E. pH = 7
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Buffer concept. You can view video lessons to learn Buffer. Or if you need more Buffer practice, you can also practice Buffer practice problems.
What is the difficulty of this problem?
Our tutors rated the difficulty ofThe capacity of a buffer is greatest when which of the follo...as low difficulty.