We’re being asked to determine which of the given compounds is a Lewis acid.
Based on the Lewis definition:
Lewis acid is an electron pair acceptor.
Some characteristics of a Lewis acid:
• When hydrogen is connected to an electronegative element such as P, O, N, S or halogens
▪ hydrogen gains a partially positive charge → makes hydrogen act as a Lewis acid
• Positively charged metal ions
▪ can accept negative electron pairs → can act as Lewis Acids
• Central element that has less than 8 valence electrons around it
▪ more likely to accept an electron pair to follow the octet rule
▪ can accept electron pair → can act as Lewis acid
Lewis base is an electron pair donor.
Which one of the following substances is a Lewis acid?
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Lewis Acid and Base concept. You can view video lessons to learn Lewis Acid and Base. Or if you need more Lewis Acid and Base practice, you can also practice Lewis Acid and Base practice problems.