We’re being asked to identify the intermolecular forces present between HCl and O2
Recall that there are several types of intermolecular forces:
1. Ion-dipole interaction – occurs between an ion and a polar covalent compound
2. Hydrogen bonding – occurs in compounds where hydrogen is directly connected to an electronegative element such as N, O, or F
3. Dipole-dipole interaction – occurs between two polar covalent compounds
4. Induced-dipole interaction – occurs when a nonpolar compound interacts with a polar compound
5. Dispersion forces – occurs in all compounds. This is the primary intermolecular force exhibited by nonpolar compounds.
For this problem, we need to do the following steps:
Step 1: Determine the central atom in each molecule.
Step 2: Calculate the total number of valence electrons present.
Step 3: Draw the Lewis structure for the molecule.
Step 4: Determine the polarity and IMF of the molecule.
What is the intermolecular interaction that exists between HCl and O2?
A) Dipole-dipole forces
B) Dispersion forces.
C) Dipole-induced dipole
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Intermolecular Forces concept. You can view video lessons to learn Intermolecular Forces. Or if you need more Intermolecular Forces practice, you can also practice Intermolecular Forces practice problems.
What is the difficulty of this problem?
Our tutors rated the difficulty ofWhat is the intermolecular interaction that exists between H...as medium difficulty.
What professor is this problem relevant for?
Based on our data, we think this problem is relevant for Professor Rust's class at TN TECH.