Problem: What types of intermolecular forces exist between NH4NO3 molecules?I. Dispersion forcesII. Dipole-dipole interactionsIII. Hydrogen bondingIV. IonicA) I, II and IVB) I, II, and IIIC) I onlyD) I and IVE) All of them
FREE Expert Solution
We’re being asked to identify the intermolecular forces present in NH4NO3 .
Recall that there are several types of intermolecular forces:
1. Ion-dipole interaction – occurs between an ion and a polar covalent compound
2. Hydrogen bonding – occurs in compounds where hydrogen is directly connected to an electronegative element such as N, O, or F
3. Dipole-dipole interaction – occurs between two polar covalent compounds
4. Induced-dipole interaction – occurs when a nonpolar compound interacts with a polar compound
5. Dispersion forces – occurs in all compounds. This is the primary intermolecular force exhibited by nonpolar compounds.
What types of intermolecular forces exist between NH4NO3 molecules?
I. Dispersion forces
II. Dipole-dipole interactions
III. Hydrogen bonding
A) I, II and IV
B) I, II, and III
C) I only
D) I and IV
E) All of them
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Intermolecular Forces concept. You can view video lessons to learn Intermolecular Forces Or if you need more Intermolecular Forces practice, you can also practice Intermolecular Forces practice problems .
What is the difficulty of this problem?
Our tutors rated the difficulty of What types of intermolecular forces exist between NH4NO3 mol... as medium difficulty.
What professor is this problem relevant for?
Based on our data, we think this problem is relevant for Professor Shusterman's class at CAL.