Which of the following statements pertaining to the reaction coordinate plot below is/are correct.
I. The overall reaction is endothermic
II. The overall reaction is exothermic
III. There is a transition state
IV. There is one intermediate
V. There are two intermediates
A. Only statements I and III are correct
B. Only statements I and IV are correct
C. Only statements I and V are correct
D. Only statements II and III are correct
E. Only statements II and IV are correct
We’re being asked to which of the following statements are true based on the energy diagram.
Recall that an energy diagram is usually read from left to right.
The components of an energy diagram are:
• Reactants: are placed on the left/beginning of the energy diagram
• Products: are placed on the right/end of the energy diagram
• transition states: are the peaks in the energy diagram
• Intermediates: are formed in-between steps or the momentary dips in the energy diagram
• Energy change (ΔH or ΔG˚): is the difference in energy between products and reactants
• Activation energy (Ea): is the difference in energy between reactants and transition state