We’re being asked to determine which compound has the highest boiling point
Recall that there are several types of intermolecular forces:
1. Ion-dipole interaction – occurs between an ion and a polar covalent compound
2. Hydrogen bonding – occurs in compounds where hydrogen is directly connected to an electronegative element such as N, O, or F
3. Dipole-dipole interaction – occurs between two polar covalent compounds
4. Induced-dipole interaction – occurs when a nonpolar compound interacts with a polar compound
5. Dispersion forces – occurs in all compounds. This is the primary intermolecular force exhibited by nonpolar compounds.
Compounds with strong intermolecular forces have high boiling points. This is because they require more energy to be able to break the bonds during the phase transition.
In this case, we need to do the following steps to determine their IMF
Step 1: Determine the central atom in the molecule.
Step 2: Calculate the total number of valence electrons present.
Step 3: Draw the Lewis structure for the molecule.
Step 4: Determine the polarity and IMF of the molecule.
Which compound has the highest boiling point?
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Intermolecular Forces and Physical Properties concept. If you need more Intermolecular Forces and Physical Properties practice, you can also practice Intermolecular Forces and Physical Properties practice problems.
What is the difficulty of this problem?
Our tutors rated the difficulty ofWhich compound has the highest boiling point?A. CH4 B. NH3 C...as high difficulty.