For this problem, we're being asked to determine which compound has the maximum number of intermolecular forces
Recall that there are several types of intermolecular forces:
1. Ion-dipole interaction – occurs between an ion and a polar covalent compound
2. Hydrogen bonding – occurs in compounds where hydrogen is directly connected to an electronegative element such as N, O, or F
3. Dipole-dipole interaction – occurs between two polar covalent compounds
4. Induced-dipole interaction – occurs when a nonpolar compound interacts with a polar compound
5. Dispersion forces – occurs in all compounds. This is the primary intermolecular force exhibited by nonpolar compounds.
Which of the following compounds has the maximum number of different kinds of intermolecular forces?
C. H3C-C(O)-CH3 , acetone
D. benzene, C6H6
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Intermolecular Forces concept. You can view video lessons to learn Intermolecular Forces. Or if you need more Intermolecular Forces practice, you can also practice Intermolecular Forces practice problems.
What is the difficulty of this problem?
Our tutors rated the difficulty ofWhich of the following compounds has the maximum number of d...as medium difficulty.