We’re being asked whether each of the following will be more soluble in water or hexane
III. K2SO 4
We’re going to use the theory “likes” dissolving “likes” which states that the solvent can only completely dissolve the solute if they share similar polarity.
• Therefore, a pure solvent with similar polarity can successfully dissolve a solute to create a solution.
▪ made up of C and H only → hydrocarbon
▪ hydrocarbons are nonpolar
▪ heptane → nonpolar
• water: H2O
▪ water has an electronegative atom (O) → there will be a net dipole moment in the direction of oxygen
▪ water is a polar compound
▪ Also has O-H bond which means it hydrogen bond.
State whether each of the following will be more soluble in water or hexane I. butane II. CH 3COOH III. K 2SO 4