We’re being asked whether each of the following will be more soluble in water or hexane
III. K2SO 4
We’re going to use the theory “likes” dissolving “likes” which states that the solvent can only completely dissolve the solute if they share similar polarity.
• Therefore, a pure solvent with similar polarity can successfully dissolve a solute to create a solution.
▪ made up of C and H only → hydrocarbon
▪ hydrocarbons are nonpolar
▪ heptane → nonpolar
• water: H2O
▪ water has an electronegative atom (O) → there will be a net dipole moment in the direction of oxygen
▪ water is a polar compound
▪ Also has O-H bond which means it hydrogen bond.
State whether each of the following will be more soluble in water or hexane I. butane II. CH 3COOH III. K 2SO 4
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Solutions, Molarity and Intermolecular Forces concept. You can view video lessons to learn Solutions, Molarity and Intermolecular Forces. Or if you need more Solutions, Molarity and Intermolecular Forces practice, you can also practice Solutions, Molarity and Intermolecular Forces practice problems.