We are asked to determine if chlorate ion has a resonance structure.
• Chlorate ion is a polyatomic anion with a formula ClO3-
• the suffix ‘ide’ is used to refer to monoatomic anions
• the suffix ‘ite’ is used to refer to oxyanion with the lower oxidation state
• the suffix ‘ate’ is used to refer to the oxyanion in the higher oxidation state
First, we must draw the Lewis structure for ClO3-.
• We need to determine the total number of valence electrons present:
Group Valence Electrons
Cl 7A 1 × 7 e– = 7 e–
O 6A 3 × 6 e– = 18 e–
+ 1 e-
Total: 26 valence e–
Does a chlorate ion have resonance structures?
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Resonance Structures concept. You can view video lessons to learn Resonance Structures. Or if you need more Resonance Structures practice, you can also practice Resonance Structures practice problems.