We’re being asked to identify the intermolecular forcespresent in GeH4.
Recall that there are several types of intermolecular forces:
1. Ion-dipole interaction – occurs between an ion and a polar covalent compound
2. Hydrogen bonding – occurs in compounds where hydrogen is directly connected to an electronegative element such as N, O, or F
3. Dipole-dipole interaction – occurs between two polar covalent compounds
4. Induced-dipole interaction – occurs when a nonpolar compound interacts with a polar compound
5. Dispersion forces – occurs in all compounds. This is the primary intermolecular force exhibited by nonpolar compounds.
For this problem, we need to do the following steps:
Step 1: Determine the central atom in the molecule.
Step 2: Calculate the total number of valence electrons present.
Step 3: Draw the Lewis structure for the molecule.
Step 4: Determine the polarity and IMF of the molecule.
What type(s) of intermolecular forces are expected between GeH4 molecules? Choose all that apply.
d. hydrogen bonding
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Intermolecular Forces concept. You can view video lessons to learn Intermolecular Forces. Or if you need more Intermolecular Forces practice, you can also practice Intermolecular Forces practice problems.
What professor is this problem relevant for?
Based on our data, we think this problem is relevant for Professor Scerri's class at UCLA.