What is the systematic name of the complex [Co(NH 3)5Cl]Cl2?
We are being asked to name the given coordination compound [Co(NH3)5Cl]Cl2
Rules for Naming:
1. The metal cation is written before the nonmetal anion.
2. If the metal is a transition metal (with more than one possible charge) we must use a Roman Numeral to describe its positive charge. Transition metals with only one possible charge include Zn2+, Cd2+, and Ag+.
3. The only space in the name should appear between the cation and the anion.
4. For the complex ion portion, neutral ligands are written before anionic ligands and the formula for the whole ion is placed inside of brackets.
5. Within the complex ion, the ligands are named in alphabetical order before the metal ion.
6. Anionic ligands drop the -ide, and add -o after the root name.