Problem: The Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) sets a limit for mercury-a toxin to the central nervous system-at 0.002 ppm by mass. Water suppliers must periodically test their water to ensure that mercury levels do not exceed this limit. Suppose water becomes contaminated with mercury at twice the legal limit (0.004 ppm).How much of this water would have to be consumed for someone to ingest 51 mg of mercury?

🤓 Based on our data, we think this question is relevant for Professor Rathod's class at UW-SEATTLE.

FREE Expert Solution
FREE Expert Solution

ppm=μg solutemL solution


Step 1

51 mg ×10-3 g1 mg = 0.051 g


View Complete Written Solution
Problem Details

The Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) sets a limit for mercury-a toxin to the central nervous system-at 0.002 ppm by mass. Water suppliers must periodically test their water to ensure that mercury levels do not exceed this limit. Suppose water becomes contaminated with mercury at twice the legal limit (0.004 ppm).

How much of this water would have to be consumed for someone to ingest 51 mg of mercury?

Frequently Asked Questions

What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?

Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the ppm concept. If you need more ppm practice, you can also practice ppm practice problems.

What is the difficulty of this problem?

Our tutors rated the difficulty ofThe Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) sets a limit for mercury-...as medium difficulty.

How long does this problem take to solve?

Our expert Chemistry tutor, Dasha took 2 minutes and 43 seconds to solve this problem. You can follow their steps in the video explanation above.

What professor is this problem relevant for?

Based on our data, we think this problem is relevant for Professor Rathod's class at UW-SEATTLE.