🤓 Based on our data, we think this question is relevant for Professor Hilaire's class at UM.
We’re being asked which of the given compounds in the reaction is a Lewis acid and Lewis Base.
Let’s first define a Lewis acid and a Lewis base.
Based on the Lewis definition:
Lewis acid is an electron pair acceptor.
Some characteristics of a Lewis acid:
• When hydrogen is connected to an electronegative element such as P, O, N, S or halogens
▪ hydrogen gains a partially positive charge → makes hydrogen act as a Lewis acid
• Positively charged metal ions
▪ can accept negative electron pairs → can act as Lewis Acids
• Central element that has less than 8 valence electrons around it
▪ more likely to accept an electron pair to follow the octet rule
▪ can accept electron pair → can act as Lewis acid
Lewis base is an electron pair donor.
Some characteristics of a Lewis base:
• Compounds that have lone pair(s) on a central element can act as Lewis bases.
• Compounds that possess a negative charge can act as Lewis Bases.
Analyze the reactants:
Identify the Lewis acid and the Lewis base in the following reaction.
c. HgI2(s) + 2I-(aq) ⇌ HgI42-(aq)