We are asked to determine which one is a molecular substance and which one is an ionic substance between SiF4 and LaF3.
Let’s first define an ionic and molecular bond:
• involves the transferring of an electron from one element to another element
• positively charged ion + negatively charged ion
▪ metal → usually is the positively charged ion (+)
▪ nonmetal → usually is the negatively charged ion (-)
▪ metal(or polyatomic ion) + nonmetal (or polyatomic ion)
Covalent (or Molecular) Bond
• involves the sharing of electron(s) between elements
▪ nonmetal + nonmetal
In the following pair of binary compounds determine which one is a molecular substance and which one is an ionic substance. SiF4 and LaF3.
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Chemical Bonds concept. You can view video lessons to learn Chemical Bonds. Or if you need more Chemical Bonds practice, you can also practice Chemical Bonds practice problems.
What professor is this problem relevant for?
Based on our data, we think this problem is relevant for Professor Henricks' class at KSU.