🤓 Based on our data, we think this question is relevant for Professor Surampudi's class at UMASS.
(1) Following the molecular formula, C appears to be the central atom
(2) The total number of valence electrons present in CH3N3 is:
Group Valence Electrons
C 4A 1 × 4 e– = 4 e–
H 1A 2 × 1 e– = 2 e–
N 5A 3 × 5 e– = 15 e–
Total: 21 valence e–
(3) The bonding preferences of each element in the molecule is as follows:
• Carbon: prefers to form 4 bonds
• Hydrogen: only forms 1 bond
• Oxygen: prefers to form 2 bonds
Draw the Lewis structure (including resonance structures) for methyl azide (CH3N3). For each resonance structure, assign formal charges to all atoms that have formal charge.
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Resonance Structures concept. You can view video lessons to learn Resonance Structures. Or if you need more Resonance Structures practice, you can also practice Resonance Structures practice problems.
What professor is this problem relevant for?
Based on our data, we think this problem is relevant for Professor Surampudi's class at UMASS.