• Triacylglycerols: glycerol + 3 fatty acids; used for fuel
The following statements describe different types of lipids. Fill in the blanks with the following words
1) Compounds that contain a fused ring system are called _____. These have three 6-membered rings and one 5-membered ring. some of these compounds are found in biological membranes.
2) _____ are the building blocks for many lipids, and they generally contain an even number of carbon atoms and an unbranched hydrocarbon chain.
3) _____ are formed when a carbohydrate is glycosidically-linked to a hydroxyl group of a lipid. Examples include gangliosides and cerebrosides. These are also found in biological membranes.
4) _____ are the storage form of lipids, accumulating in adipose tissue, and they can be used as metabolic fuel. These compounds have a polar part, made of three ester groups, and a nonpolar fatty acid tail.
5) _____ are made up of a long-chain amino alcohol joined, either by a glycosidic linkage or a phosphodiester linkage, to a fatty acid. These do not contain _____. they are abundant in the nervous system.
6) When glycerol esterified to two fatty acids and a phosphoric acid molecule a _____ is formed. These are found in biological membranes.
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Lipids concept. You can view video lessons to learn Lipids. Or if you need more Lipids practice, you can also practice Lipids practice problems.
What professor is this problem relevant for?
Based on our data, we think this problem is relevant for Professor Frederich's class at FSU.