Plant Reproductive Cycle:
Answer each of the questions, and then enter the terms into the box indicated in order to construct a diagram of alternation of generations.
1. What generation means "spore- bearing plant" ? ______ (Box 1)
2. What generation means "gamete-bearing plant"? ________ (Box 2)
3. What type of cell does the generation in box 1 give rise to? ______ (Box 3)
4. What two types of cells does the generation in box 2 give rise to? ________ (Box 4 or 5) and ____________ (Box 4 or 5)
5. The cells in boxes 3, 4, and 5 are reproductive cells that are all haploid. However, the cells in boxes 4 and 5 differ from the type of cell in box 3 because these cells have to come together during an event called______ (Box 6) in order to grow into a living organism.
6. When these cells do come together they form a ______ (Box 7), which has a _____ (Box 8) chromosome number. This marks the transition to the other generation because this grows into the generation you indicated in box 1.
7. Since this generation came about through the union the cells in boxes 4 and 5, it must have a ______ (Box 9) chromosome number.
8. Since this generation gives rise to haploid reproductive cells you have already entered in box 3, it must do so through the cell division process of ____. (Box 10)
9. These reproductive cells, unlike those in boxes 4 and 5, do not need to unite in order to grow into the next generation. Given a habitat conducive to germination, they simply grow into the next generation through the cell division process of _______ (Box 11)
10. Since the generation in box 2 arose through simple growth of a haploid cell, it must have a _________( (Box 12) chromosome number
11. Since this generation gives rise to haploid cells in boxes 4 and 5, it must do so through the cell division process of __________ (Box 13).
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Seed Plants concept. You can view video lessons to learn Seed Plants. Or if you need more Seed Plants practice, you can also practice Seed Plants practice problems.